Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tanuj- Bringing "Muskan" to All


I happened to visit a drug de-addiction and rehabilitation center named Muskaan Foundation in Dwarka courtesy Leaders for Tomorrow, an NGO I'm a part of.Well, first let me tell you about some of the preceeding events that happened just before my visit there. I saw a drug addict throbbing in the mid of the road from an epileptic stroke... an old English-speaking man begging to get him an inhaler... my interpretation of the character of these people... Desperate,
Criminal-minded, Deceptive, Ignoble...

When I reached there, frankly speaking I wasn't impressed by the look of the place-- shabby walls, small rooms, and all. They exhibited good hospitality. We were introduced to the concept by Ms. Diva Pandey, the psychologist there. The lady didn't seem to be just doing all this like a job... It seemed it was her job, hobby, aim, goal... She was actually wholeheartedly dedicated to this foundation. Then, we were briefed by Mr. Hemant, a part of the council, dedicated to the de-addiction of the the concerned people. I was surprised to know that he himself had a record of 15 years of addiction. He had recovered completely some 6 years back. He was so happy to regain his life that he decided to help other sufferers like him. He gave us the examples of other people in the council who were all recovered 'patients'. The council consisted of many recovered patients since they would be knowing a lot about the psychology and emotions of the people who are now trying to overcome drug addiction.

After that, Dr. Bhushan arrived who told us about the medico-psychological factors related to the addicts. He told us how does this habit start. I was literally startled to know that children as small as six years old were addicted to something or the other and to what all they were addicted to in the beginning-- whitener, adhesives, Iodex, types of erasers and even to alcohol; which later on graduated to hardcore drugs, including oral ones and the injectibles too.

We then had a chat with two of the children who were recovering.. They were sweet innocent children after all, meandered directionless that's it! They were given a streamed direction here..
Now, it was the time to visit all the inmates, talk to them, play with them and just try to understand them. I always had a convention that all the addicts belong from the economically backward strata of the society. But this was only apparent. While hearing the introductions from them, i realised they belong from each and every corner of the society. Rich or poor, Hindu or Muslim, Sikh or Christian, Old or young, every realm of the society is infected with this problem. It didn't sink in for the first time, there were people from so good level-- NSD graduate, MBBS from London, Businessmen, Chef, Body-double in Bollywood, Call center trainee (he's a part of the council now). I really didn't expect people of this kind at this rehab. They all want to change, but just cant. It's biological, as well as psychological. I figured it out it's very very easy to fall into the trap of drugs, but its that much difficult to get out of it. You try to justify your need for drugs... justify your each and every deed... I remember, one of those justified it by saying.. "You have sex once, you are addicted to it.. Is sex bad?" Though the reasoning is ridiculous, but it gives you an insight to their mentality towards drugs.

Then we played games with them.. They are actually very nice people just treaded on the wrong path. I felt sympathetic whenever i saw any of the addicts lying on the road, but at the end of the visit my ideology has changed.. now i empathise with them.. and they need to be understood, not pitied upon. The visit ended, but the thought and the consequences are still very much within me, at the back of my eyes, somewhere in my mind, somewhere in my conscience.

The problem is that they were one of us only. I don't know how many of those people whom I call friends now, will be rechristened to addicts or Smackiyas. We have to ensure that not only us, but everyone around doesn't fall into the lure of this. I can assure you one thing, atleast I wouldn't, never!! Not even for the sake of trying it. Believe me, that's the first step of you becoming an addict.

1 comment:

Ira said...

An interesting fact: Even though weed is legal in Amsterdam, Netherlands...the number of drug addicts is less than those in India!(considering the population factor..not referring to absolute terms, of course)
And i am not advocating legalising drugs in india. just something to think about..